Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Christmas Under the Bridge- Extra Credit 2

Downtown San Antonio always has "Christmas Under the Bridge", it is a local charity event to provide homeless and poor families with extra presents and supplies for the Christmas. This year I volunteered to help out. It was a true blessing to be there. The Red Cross gave out wool-like blankets and extra supplies to the homeless. There was a huge supply of food and hundreds of presents for the small children. There were also other people there willing to lend helping hands. Some came from Medicaid, Shelters, all of which were just there to help the people get back on their feet so that maybe this time next year they won't be in the same situation. It is hard to understand why so many people don't try and get the free help that is offered to them, it is actually heart breaking. This was my first year to volunteer, and I'll never forget the little boys face that I handed a jump rope to. A simple rope with handles, and it seemed like I gave him a bag of golden bricks. Something we take for granted so many things in life, and he was greatful for a dollar rope and little attention. I enjoyed showing all the children time and attention.It was amazing! Priceless! I now want to do this every year, the feelings are so rewarding and unexplainable. I encourage everyone to go and volunteer, you won't regret it. It is fun and it helps people, what more could you ask for?
Word Count-251

No comments: