Monday, September 17, 2007

Spiritual Connections

“Spiritual Connections”

The sun glistened brightly through my son’s hair, as we walked towards Mission San Jose. His bright brown eyes and tiny little fingers clung to my silk blouse as we entered the church. I looked briskly for an empty seat, until one was spotted. My intentions were to arrive early to mass, but due to an uncooperative infant, I managed to arrive right before the doors were closed. I kneeled and took a deep breath, inhaling the musky scent of the mission walls. The humidity engulfed the air, and I became agitated with the weather. As the mass began, a sigh of relief came over me and I began to pray. I was finally attending the popular “Mariachi Mass”, that everyone was raving about. If I wouldn’t have chose this class, I probably would’ve robbed myself of this spiritual and delightful experience. Mission San Jose offered joy, culture, diversity, history, and a plethora of opportunities to explore my heritage.

As the Mariachis started playing, I could see my son’s eyes light up, almost like a little sparkler was ignited inside him. He began clapping and smiling profusely, and in that moment I knew that the trip to San Jose was well worth it. I could see the people around me, but not in a normal sense. I felt as though everyone’s spirit was just jumping right out of their skin. It was intense. I wish that I lived closer to attend that mass more frequently. As I glanced around the room, it was obvious that everyone there wanted to be. No one was sleeping or biting their nails, instead they were smiling and taking in the gospel. It seems like the people there took it very seriously, including myself. The mission felt sacred, and knowing that my ancestors originated here made it mean so much more.

The culture was everywhere in the room. It’s apparent that modernization has taken a minuscule toll on the mission. However, it isn’t enough to take away from the historical aspect. The mariachis are the heart of the mass. They enable all the visitors with live music and diversity from their everyday lifestyle. The music is very symbolic to the Hispanic culture. Music is one of the very few forms of entertainment that the natives had. As San Antonio developed, so did the culture. Even though our ancestors are now dead, they are survived by a variety of attributes that are left behind. Music is one of them. So to be a part of that was an incredible feeling. It is important to know where we come from and who we are, and attending that mass helped me realize the person I am and the person I want my son to be. A person who is in touch with their heritage and culture.

As mass proceeded, my eyes grazed the room itself; the structure. The whole essence of the architectural structure, was a flawless design; forever embedded in my memory. I asked myself, “How did they know how to design such sound and structural buildings, which is now a historical monument.” There is one word that stands out more than any other, impressive. I plan on attending mass there at least once a month, or if time allows, more. It was a fantastic experience and we really enjoyed it.

Word Count: 561

No comments: