Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Music, Don't Abusic

Music is an important aspect in a person’s life. People revolve their lives around music and the happiness that it brings to them, whether it is the lyrics, the melody, or the beat, music connects with people on a plethora of levels. With all the hardships that I have endured throughout the years music has always been there to comfort and help me through the tunnel of destruction. In humanities the class was instructed to view a film regarding tejano and conjunto music, both which are distinguished in the Hispanic culture. Lydia Mendoza was an inspiration and icon to the Latino society. She is a well established artist/musician. Mendoza is very talented in her work and very creative which is possibly why she is known as the “Queen” of tejano music today. Some say that it is hard for a woman to rise in the music industry, yet alone, tejano. Mendoza has persevered and has made a name for herself. Personally, my mother is a huge fan of hers, so when I saw her on the video, I knew a bit about her. My mother has raised me and my siblings to understand, comprehend, and appreciate all the various types of music, tejano being her focus. I can honestly say that I appreciated the video because I have an understanding and knowledge about the history of the music. Needless to say, music is a silent tactic which plays in the shadows of our lives, helping us through our hardest times.

Word Count 250

No comments: